Success and Catastrophe!

Success and Catastrophe!

Well, we are now rolling with the sprouts!  I did my first harvest on Friday (May 22) and harvested much more than I expected.  12 trays gave me 78 bags!, which is 6.5 bags per tray – much more than the 4 I predicted.  I sold 36 bags to local retailers and a few to […]

Almost Soil!

Almost Soil!

Well, due to the overwhelming attention required of the sunflower project, I have to admit the no-till project is getting a bit neglected.  But it is still proceeding nonetheless.  But it is still going without me.   I pulled off part of the tarp to take a look at the soil yesterday and most of the […]

Just a few glitches

Just a few glitches

Well, after a few test runs, which are still running, the system seems to be holding up pretty well. But there are a few glitches still – mostly in process, but a few infrastructure problems as well. As I am preparing the batches I am noticing little sources of potential contamination. For example, the buckets […]

First Batch Started!

First Batch Started!

And we’re off. I have started my first batch of sprouts so we are officially in production. I did only 13 trays to start off with which I am going to sell in front of my house this Saturday. I will also approach some grocers to see about regular sales to them as well. I […]

Ready to go

Ready to go

Well, I have officially have one bench all ready to go. Now I just need to find someone to sell sprouts to. The first market is not until June 6 so I would like to do a few test runs before then. Perhaps to a few supermarkets or restaurants and SPUD. Here is a picture […]

building benches

building benches

Well, after a reinvigorating week in Mexico, (cough, cough) I am back at it! Today I started with bench assembly.  My friend Dale, who will be helping me with production was helping me build benches today. Before starting bench assembly we covered the sprouting area with bark mulch.  The mulch was free (left over from […]